Republic Act No. 10611 also known as the “Food Safety Act of 2013” mandated the Bureau of Plant Industry (BPI) as a Food Safety Regulatory Agency (FSRA) under the Department of Agriculture. The BPI-Plant Product Safety Services Division (PPSSD) undertakes responsibilities relevant to food safety of fresh and minimally processed plant foods from primary production to post-harvest stages of the food supply chain.
PPSSD is an internationally recognized regulatory office in providing competent, efficient and quality services responsive to the needs of plant food stakeholders.
We ensure safe plant food from primary production to post-harvest stages of the food supply chain through effective food control systems and laboratory services.
The Plant Product Safety Services Division ensures plant product safety of fresh and minimally processed plant foods consistent with the Republic Act No. 10611 or the Food Safety Act of 2013 and its Implementing Rules and Regulations. It is tasked to implement the following:
1. Strengthen the implementation of food control system on plant foods;
2. Intensify the monitoring system of contaminants and pesticide residue to assure the supply of safe food for the consumers;
3. Provide analytical services for microbiological, physico-chemical, pesticide formulation and pesticide residue analyses; and
4. Coordinate with other local and international authorities on activities relevant to the functions of the Division.
SECTIONS AND LABORATORIES
Accreditation and Inspection Section (AIS)
1. Inspect, register, and issue endorsement prior to licensing of packing houses and establishments for compliance to food safety standards and regulations involved in the distribution of fresh and minimally processed fruits and vegetables;
2. Inspect packinghouses of fresh agricultural produce intended for export and domestic markets for compliance to food safety standards and regulations;
3. Conduct food safety risk analysis of imported plant food for market access;
4. Conduct food safety risk assessment of plants and plant products derived from modern biotechnology; and
5. Implement Philippine Good Agricultural Practices (PhilGAP) Program including assigning inspectors to perform farm inspection and generating reports to be reviewed and approved by the PhilGAP certification committee, and act as the Secretariat for the PhilGAP certification.
1. Monitor and provide analytical services for microbiological contaminants in fresh and minimally processed plant food; and
2. Monitor chemical contaminants and provide analytical services for fresh and minimally processed agricultural produce.
Pesticide Analytical Laboratory Section (PALS)
Composed of Pesticide Residue Unit and Formulation Analysis Unit, both are ISO/IEC 17025:2017 certified, and is tasked to:
- Monitor pesticide residue level in locally produced and imported agricultural
- Provide analytical services for pesticide residues and formulation to various
- Covers Region III, IV-A, IV-B, V, and NCR
Satellite Pesticide Analytical Laboratories (SPALs)
Four (SPALs) are tasked to monitor pesticide residue levels and provide pesticide residue analytical services in their respective regions.
1. SPAL Baguio (covers Regions I, II and Cordillera Autonomous Region (CAR)